Thursday, July 1, 2010

Junk Food Veganism, Part Two: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Happy July dear friends!

You may remember my recent post on junk food veganism. I must report that I have since reformed my ways, thanks in part to all the delicious produce infiltrating the fertile fields of Michigan, and hence my kitchen. Before I start posting about that stuff though, I must include this last - although certainly not final - junk food recipe. My boss's seven-year-old proclaimed these cookies to be 'THE BEST!!' she'd ever had. I like this recipe cause it's easy, and features one of my favorite ways to make desserts super-classy without actually trying: a simple sprinkle of sea salt before baking. Onward!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, adapted from Heidi Swanson's recipe

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup peanut butter (be sure to use a natural kind if you want to brag that there's no refined sugars in these cookies)
1 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (or more!) of dark chocolate chips
a pinch or two of sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Combine all the other ingredients except the chocolate chips in another bowl, and pour the wet mixture over the dry. Stir until everything is just combined. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix a little more. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle each cookie with a little but of sea salt. Bake for 10 or 11 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment