Sunday, January 9, 2011

Freezing to death in my own apartment: A love story.

I'm blogging to you at 9:45 on a Sunday morning. Why is this grand?

Because I'm not working.

I've been working Sundays since May, and this is the first week of many that I will NOT be! A joyous occasion. To celebrate, I slept until 8:45 and made this ass-kicking breakfast for non-working CHAMPIONS.

Coconut chocolate-chip oatmeal PANCAKES
(It's like eating a giant, soft cookie...only BETTER)


INGREEDZ:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups vanilla alternative milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp safflower oil
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
Small handful coconut flakes
Chocolate chips or raisins (or BOTH. You're a free bitch)
Earth Balance

DO THIS:

Start heating a tablespoon of vegan margarine in a cast iron skillet (don't have one? You have something to do today) over medium-low heat. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, rolled oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Make a well in the center, and pour in the "milk," vinegar, safflower oil, and maple syrup. Mix (but only until just combined. Some clumps are ideal with pancakes). Then stir in the coconut flakes (I like the big flakes, not the little Meijer-brand sugary shavings). Place about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into skillet, and sprinkle chocolate chips over it (and raisins if you want 'em. I didn't today). Cook until golden brown on each side. In between each round of pancakes, make sure to re-Balance your pan, mmkay? Ensure crispy edged pancakes, sinner.

These were delightfus. My aunt got me this awesome little ceramic maple syrup heater for Christmas, so I warmed some up to have on the side.

Tonight is our New Year's staff dinner. We don't know where we're going until five o'clock, when we carpool to get there. The jokes about "rumors" of Meaty McMeaterson's Meat Pit have already been under way (Get it? It's funny, because you don't eat meat). Hopefully it will be a delicious and swell time. Also, something is wrong with my apartment's heat and I'm freezing my ass off.

Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment