Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TOUCHDOWN/BIG BUTTER JESUS HAS BURNED TO THE GROUND.



For those of you who have grown up in the midwest, and who have traveled South through Ohio to visit family, go on vacay, or to climb in the Red River Gorge, you know of Big Butter/Touchdown Jesus. A landmark. A legend. Folks, he's gone.

Xtina (Text): Touchdown jesus got struck by lightening and burned down!
Pancake (text); WHAT
Xtina: Apparently the adult bookstore across the street remains untouched.
Pancake: Thank jebus.

Jesus took one for the team.



Don't worry. He'll be back in three days, right?

Anyhow, the pals came to visit again, and once more we made lunch. And once again, it was a lunch that I could smother in condiments. I love condiments at lunch time.

Bean Burgers!
3 leaves kale, washed, torn up
1/6 block of tofu
15 oz can navy beans, drained
2 cups rolled oats
A few dashes of cayenne
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
Water, if needed

I pressed my tofu for about 20 minutes. It was just enough. After washing and pulling my kale (I used Red Russian), I put it in my small cast iron skillet along with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cook the kale down for 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, put all of the ingredients into a food processor. Then put in the kale as well. Process until everything is sticking together. Add water, if it's too dry.



Heat some safflower oil in a large skillet. Form patties, and cook over medium-high heat. Cover with a lid (or a cookie sheet if you're poor). After a few minutes of cooking the patties, throw in a little water to steam 'em. Cook each side until golden brown. Yay.



I wanted some sort of dilly topping, because I love dill. So, I made one.

3 T Veganaise
1 1/2 tsp mustard
Fresh chopped dill (to your taste)
3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients together. Done! Then just spread it on top of a burger. Hooray!



We did some fun and exciting stuff later in the afternoon, too. Blog post to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Love the new background picture. It looks delish.
    Are those our veggies perhaps?

    ReplyDelete