Saturday, November 27, 2010

The King Stag

I'm making apple butter and canning it right now.

But more on that later.

For now, I wish to share with you a harrowing tale of how I, Pancake, became the savior of one Banana.

Arriving home at my parents dwelling in the suburbs of Detroit, I walked in the kitchen to find three bananas in the fruit bowl in various states of decay. Shocked, appalled, saddened, I made plans to somehow liberate them from their slow and useless deaths. Unfortunately, I knew that this would have to wait until the day after Thanksgiving, when I would have ample time. I am devastated to report that two of the bananas did not make it to that day.

But one did!

I took Banana into my gentle hands, and to the sink where in the natural light flowing through the windows it became abundantly clear that we couldn't save its leg (rather, the last inch and a half on one end), as it was black and a bit fuzzy. The rest of Banana was at prime ripeness for baking. We discussed options, and Banana settled on the following.

Giant Chocolate Chip Banana Cookie



Preheat oven to 350, and grease up a 9 inch diameter round cake pan.

INGREEDZ:
1 medium banana mashed (Banana was large, but having removed the end, I'd say medium)
1/2 cup vegan cane sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup safflower oil
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp water
A couple handfuls chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, the sugar, and the oil until well combined. Sift in and mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. When this is all thoroughly incorporated, throw in the baking powder and the 3 tablespoons of water until everything comes together as a delicious cookie dough. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips to your taste. Spread the cookie dough evenly in the pan, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until top is brown and cookie seems cooked through. Allow to cool in the pan for some time before cutting, so you don't screw it up, CHUMP.

Proceed to mow down.

My dad really, really liked these.

May the force be with you, Banana.

No comments:

Post a Comment