Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dear friends,

Eleven days without a post is too long. We're not without excuses, however! The Oops! team has been going through momentous changes - changes that might arouse suspicion. Collectively, we at Oops! have been picking up more (underemployed)job hours, signing and moving into apartments, watching baby brothers graduate from college, celebrating birthdays and gardening. Among other things. Could we, despite our best efforts, actually be growing up??

I'm pleased to say that no, we are absolutely NOT growing up in any way, shape or form. That would just be silly.

Ahem. Seeing as this is a food blog, I should probably post a recipe. Conveniently, I made the most incredible miso soup just about two hours ago.

Peanut-Miso Soup

1 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, shredded (easily accomplished with a vegetable peeler)
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 scallion (both white and green parts), chopped
1/2 cup dried nori, crumbled
1 tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp peanut butter
2 cups liquid (I used 1 cup veggie broth plus 1 cup water)

In a medium saucepan, heat sesame oil. Cook garlic until slightly browned, then add the carrots and mushrooms. Stir everything until carrots are just tender and mushrooms are beginning to soften. Add your liquid, nori, and chopped scallion and bring to a simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the miso paste and peanut butter until everything is dissolved, then simmer for 10 more minutes. Enjoy!

Don't fear another bleak stretch of non-posting, friends. There are many tasty dishes in the near future, including a foray into raw foods, more miso-inspired goodness, and cashew cream cheeze. Plus, I still need to decide what vegan treat to make for my upcoming birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad that you made that in bold. Especially since the last time I tried to post this comment, I was doing it with the only source of internet available to me (my iPod) using a connection I was pirating from my neighbor. Oops, I'm a bastard. Make glorious things. Channel my spirit across the distance at all times.

    ReplyDelete