Friday, May 28, 2010

We got Deathstar (Deathstar!)

OMFG IT'S PANCAKE.

Hello, readers, if you still exist given our sudden SUCKING. I'm sure that there are still some of you...

I moved some time ago. My place is pretty awesome (Moose. Shower. Curtain.), and I'm pretty busy working to maintain/improve my assets working a handful of jobs. The glory of independence! I love working! And I mean that. HOWEVER, that all being said, I got an AWESOME break from the push when my pals made a journey to see my shower curtain (Or visit me or something. Whatever). Providence brought them at a hell of a time--when I had scheduled myself to get inked. Oops, I got a tat. A tat on my back. I'd love to post you photogs of it, but I know my mom reads this blog back home to see what's going on with my life, and she would be devastated to see that it is not 2 inches. Or 3. Hey, at least it's not 10, maw! At any rate, it's pretty glorious, and is my way of carrying the greatness of the great state with me regardless of my whereabouts.



I think the real reason I'd like to post the pictures is the artwork you can see on the wall in the background: what appears to be the silhouette of a teddy bear that has been shot. Repeatedly. Why, teddy? Why?

Of course, being with the pals meant cooking. Cooking is going to get more exciting now. Oops, it's time to start cooking in season! And what's in season? RHUBARB. Our lovely toxic vixen. But don't worry about that toxicity too much, just don't go putting the leaves in your salad. The stalks are where the goods are. Rhubarb is a tease to the senses, as it looks like celery yet is tart and tasty like a fruit. Commonly found in pies and jams, rhubarb is a delightfus treat you should all be experimenting with now! Here's some more info. For our kitchen reunion, we whipped up a pot of rhubarb compote.

Mmk, on with the composition:

Rhubarb Compote
1 hearty bunch of rhubarb from the farmer's market
Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar

Before cooking our rhubarb down, we took Mark Bittman's recommendation to string it. That is, we took a paring knife and peeled off the outer, stringy, tough-ish part of the rhubarb to get the nice stuff. This isn't always necessary, and is a step many choose to skip. For a compote, it just seemed wise. It IS always necessary to look hot while doing this.



This task completed, the rhubarb was chopped into small pieces and placed into a pot with the juice and the mixed sugars. Cooking over medium-high heat and stirring occasionally, cook the rhubarb down until it's rather thick and mushy. Keep in mind that it will thicken even more once removed from the heat.



Once our lovely compote was finished, we put it in the fridge to cool while we prepared other goodies to serve it with--FRENCH TOAST FOR DINNER! Compote is a wonderful addition to many a breakfast, dessert, snack, etc. Experiment! Delight in your accomplishments and discoveries!


Very mature, Beeardsmith.

While we digested our food and reveled in time well-spent, it was noticed that the hood of Beeardsmith's car had been blessed by the feet of a passing kitty. Perhaps a visit from the ghost of our old friend, Snortles?!?! WE WILL NEVER KNOW.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this latest blog entry. It made me smile. And thanks for the consideration until I am ready to see your new personal indulgence.

    ReplyDelete