Sunday, May 30, 2010

xtina's First Green Smoothie

Oh glorious Sunday. I don't have to go to work until noon! The weather is beautiful, so I decided to knock out a bike ride before I go to my place of (under)employment. What is the post-cycling, refueling culinary delight? My first green smoothie.

My love of kale is - I think - well-known. Yesterday, at the Royal Oak Farmer's market, I purchased a beautiful pile of organic Tuscan kale. Today, I proceeded to spend most of my bike ride dreaming about the preparation of my life-giving, Brassica oleracea bunch. Of the Acephala group. Duh.

I also thought about how self-righteously healthy I was being! Getting up early! Riding my bike! Burning cals! So what does a self-righteously healthy person consume? Green smoothies. I've never made one before. So I got out the smoothie maker and winged it, dear readers.

The results, unfortunately, were less than stellar. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've already slurped up the entire thing. I feel the mystical being-forces of raw food enzymes coursing through my veins - which feels great, by the way. It's just that, I wish I had better ingredients on hand to make this smoothie a bombastic explosion of flavor. It tastes creamy, cold and kale-y (does that still count as alliteration?). But it's not something I'd give to a friend who doesn't dream about kale day and night.

xtina's First Green Smoothie:

1 bunch kale, destemmed and torn into pieces
1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon flax (to make this smoothie even more nutritious)
1 frozen peach
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
juice of 1/2 lime

Add ingredients to blender. Blend. Drink.

I think this recipe needed more coherent fruit. Does that even make sense? Maybe some spunky, citrus-y combo that would perk it up a little bit. But I used what I had on hand. And it was good. And green.

No comments:

Post a Comment